- Print out the TEMPLATE for heart pattern and words. Trace 2 hearts and the words of your choice onto the colors of felt that you choose. [Without a printer, just draw your own hearts and lettering.]
- Cut out the felt letters and hearts, and glue letters onto one heart.
- Thread the needle with a piece of thread about 4 feet long. Knot the 2 ends of the thread together, doubling the thread for added strength.
- Lay the heart with the words faced up on top of the 2nd heart. Begin sewing the 2 hearts together, forming small basic stitches (around 1/4"). *Beginners: See below for more detailed sewing instructions.
- Embellish the Valentine's gift by stringing a Bead or Button on every other stitch. When you have almost finished sewing the hearts, about 3 inches before you've reached your starting point, fill the love pillow with a generous amount of cotton. Now complete the sewing, and knot the thread in the back of the pillow.
- More ideas for this Valentine craft: You can write your friend's name on the pillow instead of a love phrase. Or, write the person's name on one side and a love message on the other side!
Take a threaded needle and stick through the back of the hearts, pulling it out in the front as much as it goes. Now stick the needle 1/4" away, through the front of the fabric, and pull needle out from the back as much as possible. Repeat these "in and out" stitches, working your way all the way around the heart. Your stitches should always remain about 1/4" from the edge of the pillow, and 1/4" apart from each other.
How to add on beads or buttons: When your needle is on the front of the pillow, stick a bead or button on the needle and down the thread until it hits the felt. Then finish that stitch, sticking the needle through the felt and pull out from the back.
WARNING: Hot glue gun may pose the risk of burns and is for adult use only. Cutting felt requires adult sharp scissors, and should be done by adult only.